As early as the 18th century, the greatest Russian scientist, Mikhail Lomonosov, wrote: "I sing praise to you not for expensive stones, not for gold, but for glass."
Over the past since then, the possibilities of using glass have unlimitedly expanded - from the glazing of buildings, the manufacture of consumer goods to the use of glass in the space industry.
The history of the Saratov technical glass plant is the history of the formation and development of the largest glass industry enterprise in Russia. In most Russian homes, almost every family has the products of Saratov glassworks: whether it's window or furniture glass, double-glazed windows, mirrors, lamps, crystal, household utensils. Saratov sheet polished glass was used in the construction of many unique objects and architectural monuments that became symbols of the era and are inextricably linked with the history of the state: the Kremlin Palace of Congresses, the Ostankino TV Tower, the Borodino Panorama building, the Rossiya Hotel and thousands of other industrial, public and residential buildings throughout country.
Vladimir Ivanovich Orzhevsky was appointed to director. Vladimir Ivanovich headed the plant for 30 years, he had numerous labor awards, he was awarded the title Hero of Socialist Labor.
In connection with the great need for building materials, the USSR State Committee of Defense decided to build a plant for the production of asbestos-bitumen tiles and window glass in Saratov in 1944. The project for the construction of a new enterprise, designed to meet the country's needs for shop-window, mirror, patterned and special glass, was approved by the USSR Ministry of Industry for Building Materials on April 1, 1952. Construction of the plant began in 1954.
The continuous rolling machine was commissioned, Europe’s largest continuous rolling glass system 3 m wide was put into operation on may 15, 1958. This day is considered the birthday of the plant
The first product - chamotte brick was made. The workshop for the production of rolled patterned and reinforced glass was commissioned.
The first in the USSR conveyor for grinding and polishing glass (ShPS-1000) with a capacity of 2 million square meters of glass per year was commissioned in January 1959.
The conveyor provided the release of polished large glass up to 3 meters. Production of mirrors, glass tiles started. An experimental workshop was created, whose task was to develop and master new technologies in 1959.
A workshop for the production of window glass using the vertical extrusion method was put into operation . The production of fiberglass, glass and tiles started.
The 60s for the enterprise were a time when it gained momentum, introducing modern technologies. For example, in connection with the shortage of cheap large-sized glass, it was decided to establish glass production by barless vertical drawing. A group of specialists of the enterprise was sent to Poland for the exchange of experience, since according to this technology glass was not produced by any enterprise in the USSR.
The shop for production of steel and stalinite was put into operation in 1961. Industrial production of electroplating zircon-containing refractories (bakor-33) introduced.
The first foam glass production line was commissioned. 16 thousand cubic meters of foam glass per year were produced from waste glass on two automatic lines.
From 1962 to 1965 the production of glass fiber materials was mastered: glass pegs, fiberglass, glass fiber.
The production of glass door panels, glass blocks, as well as the country's first production line for the production of mirrors by vacuum aluminization, the production of glass door panels and glass blocks were commissioned.
The workshop of glass production by the method of barless vertical extrusion was started.
The production of molded products, plates, prints started. As a result, the profit gained by the plant more than 3 times covered all the costs of building the enterprise in the first decade of work. The plant had become one of the largest factories in the USSR, producing 12 percent of the total glass industry of the Soviet Union in 1971.
The production of high-quality crystal tableware mastered in 1972.
The country's first line for the production of glass by the method of two-stage molding according to domestic technology (LDF-1) introduced.
Second glass production line (LDF-2) introduced
The third and fourth glass production lines (LDF-3, 4) introduced
The fifth and sixth lines for the production of glass (LDF-5, 6) were introduced. Saratov Glass Factory becomes the only enterprise in the country with six lines in its arsenal.
The SORG line for the production of crystal products on the leg: wine glasses and others was commissioned.
The release of highly artistic chandeliers with using elements of crystal started
Production of heat-absorbing glass started at LDF-3, 4
The first glass brand M1 received on the line LTF-2.
Commercial production of glass with a thickness of 8 mm has begun at LTF-1.
The launch of the import line for the production of large-size multi-layered architectural and construction glass
The lines for the production of automotive glass were commissioned шт 1999-2000 . Industrial production of glass with a thickness of 2.2 mm and 2.7 mm for the automotive industry was mastered at LTF-2, at LTF-1 it was done of 10 mm. The first products of colored crystal with overlay received. The production, installation and service of large-sized lamps on individual projects was organized. A quality system of products that meets the requirements of GOST R and ISO 9001: 1994 implemented.
Industrial production of glass with a thickness of 2.2 mm and 2.7 mm has been mastered at LTF-2 for the automotive industry, and it has been done on LTF-1 - 10 mm. Received the first products of colored crystal with overlay. Production, installation and service of large-sized lamps for individual projects orgonized. a quality System of products that meets the requirements of GOST R and ISO 9001: 1994 implemented
Float-line LTF-1 with a capacity of 450 tons per day was commissioned. Management system approved by Bureau Veritas Quality International (BVQI) certificate.
Certificates for the compliance of the management system with 3 international standards - ISO 9001: 2000, ISO 14001: 2004 and OHSAS 18001: 2007 specifications obtained. The first float-glass of “Jumbo” size (6 x 3.21 m) was released.
Float - line LTF-5 with a capacity of 700 tons per day was commissioned
The two largest domestic glass enterprises OJSC Saratovstroysteklo and OJSC Salavatsteklo merged to increase their share of presence in the Russian and foreign markets in 2010.
Mastered the production of sheet glass with a thickness of 12mm
The mass-dyed glass is mastered: bronze, green, gray
Workshop for the production of glass with a soft coating is opened